Monday, July 25, 2011

It's Not Always Pretty!

Paper crafting, that is. Quite often a project turns out absolutely nothing like I planned and sometimes it becomes a horrible mess. That's what happened this weekend when I was making something for a challenge I was doing. The challenge was to create something outside of your comfort zone or try a technique that you've always wanted to try. (It was also a Christmas in July theme) I decided to do a vinyl project using the new Word Collage cartridge. So, my brilliant idea was to put the vinyl cut out on a piece of card stock and then frame it to use a Christmas decoration. I used the E2, and the preset kiss cut, which is supposed to cut the vinyl, but not the paper layer underneath. Well, my first mistake was not doing a practice cut, because apparently my E2 is not set right, so it did cut through the bottom layer, but more about that later.
So, I did the cut at 10.5" and it took 20 minutes to cut (no kidding, I timed it). I pulled the extra vinyl off, did the weeding and all seemed OK at that point. Then I applied the transfer paper and that seemed to go well too. The real problem came when I tried to apply the vinyl to the paper. Apparently, vinyl does not like to stick to paper, not without a lot of burnishing anyway. The transfer paper, however, didn't have a problem sticking to the paper at all! I later discovered The transfer paper I used was made for outdoor vinyl and I think it was just too sticky.
 I spent about 45 minutes working on this before I decided to give up. I had a headache and was feeling a little nauseous at this point! Now the problem with the bottom layer cutting. I could not get that paper off my mat for anything. Some did peel off  in pieces, but some stuck fast and I'm just calling the mat a loss.
But even after all this I wasn't ready to give up on this project. I really liked the way the Word Collage cut looked and decided instead to get a glass frame and apply the vinyl to the glass and just frame the paper. I'm happy to say it was a success! I picked up a frame for 1/2 price at Hobby Lobby the next day, did another vinyl cut after adjusting the settings on the E2, used Provo Craft transfer paper, and this was the result:
The frame is 11X14 and the cut is only 10.5, so I had to add something on the bottom. This strip is from the DCWV Christmas Combo pack and it worked perfectly. I also colored the holly berries and leaves with Smooch inks. I think this is going to be a nice addition to my Christmas decor!
Thanks for reading through this long post. I just thought it would be fun to share the not so perfect side of this hobby!


L.B. said...

heres to not giving up...this looks great

Inspired Butterfly said...

Nice end result! Just came over from the Circle after reading your post. I'm not sure if I want to keep this cart after purchasing it today, but I like what you did. Love your blog... so I'm following!

Curt Jensen said...

Maria -
I am the designer that created this cartridge for Cricut. I am sorry to hear about your drama on this project! Applying the vinyl to the glass was a great way to resolve the problem! This "word collage's" on this cartridge do take a really long time to cut out, but the end result is definitely worth the wait!

NSD 2015 Challenge: Leave You In Stitches

Hi all and welcome to my blog. It's been a long time since I've posted here, but I'll fill you in on that another time.  Today, ...